Saturday, November 5, 2011

#NHBPM Nov 5th: 5 things that changed my life

Hello! Sorry I've been late/missing prompts! I just may have to catch up..and "say" I did them earlier... don't judge! haha I am a busy college student after all!

Ok, so what are 5 things that changed my life, and how?

1. Getting diagnosed with food allergies in middle school. Without that, I would have never started FoodAllergyTalk.com, the FoodAllergyTalk [ASU] club, this blog, and I would have never had the amazing experience of being logistics chair for the AZ Walk for Food Allergy!

2. My mom taking me to a Naturopathic doctor rather than a M.D. My mom primarily made the switch when the medical doctors wouldn't believe the test results about me and my sister having "so" many allergies. They basically called her a liar, and wouldn't believe her or take her seriously. Thankfully, my mom was persistent and took us to a ND. Not only has that GREATLY improved my life and health overall, but this experience has also lead me to want to pursue naturopathic medicine as a career.

3. Going to Arizona State University. I have gone through so much growth, it's incredible. And I'm still growing. This has been a precious time of self-awareness, growth, and understanding. I am excited to see how much more I will learn in the coming year, and life at SCNM.

4. Having two great mentors. One, Dan--is my scholarship adviser, and now my good friend. He is extremely wise, and I know I can always go to him for guidance and help, and he's always there to support me. I don't know what I would do without him! The second, is my Barrett choir professor. He was the first one to ever believe in my singing abilities (even before myself). I'm still working on polishing up my voice, but I'm hopeful. He has been extremely dedicated, passionate, and helpful to me, and I am extremely gracious. Singing has always been a very important (secret) part of my life, and he is allowing me to let that part of me come to the surface, which I think is extremely important, and healthy for me!

5. I'm going to leave this one to the future. I know that I am still at the beginning of a very long, rewarding journey. It's going to be tough. Motivation can be hard to come by at times, and sometimes you just want to give up. I will doubt myself, be unsure of the future, suffer from lonely times, tough choices, and friendships that rise and fall. But in the end, I will be happy. I'm hopeful that a future husband, family, and being a Naturopathic Doctor and health advocate will be the ultimate determinants of "success" in my life :)

-Andrea Garza

No comments: