Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hard Times and Brownie-lovin'

I don't know what it is, but this year has been THE hardest for me as far as living with food allergies goes. Seriously, I've been really bummed out about the food I can't eat, especially the healthy foods. I would do anything to be able to eat a healthy, cheap, fast, over-easy egg in the mornings instead of a piece of toast with jam. Anything! Not to mention all these delicious treats that I see, and scrumptious, healthy meals that I can't eat. I'm trying to live healthy, and I just don't see the fairness in not being able to eat a perfectly healthy meal. I'm probably going to make a video blog soon to talk more about this. I've never been this distressed about it before! Maybe it's because I'm 21 and going to be a college senior--all these years in school of nearly similar meals have finally worn me out? Who knows.

On a brighter note, these cravings lead me to really want some brownies! I made my first batch of allergy-free brownies away from home, and they were delicious! I'm proud of myself :) One of my friends (who doens't have allergies) was looking for a healthier alternative to "regular" brownies, so I thought I would make this blog post for all the brownie lovers out there! Try something new, you never know if you'll love it!

I buy Pamela's brownie mix:


And all you need is to combine this mix, 1 egg (egg substitute: 1 tablespoon of arrowroot flower and 3 table spoons of water = 1 "egg," and I think it was 1/2 cup of water and 1/3 cup of oil. Have no fear, exact instructions are on the package ^_^ Bake for about 20 minutes and there you go! A beautiful, delicious batch of allergy-friendly alternative brownies.

ENJOY!

-Andrea Garza

No comments: